CANTERBURY TRAVEL (LONDON) LTD. herein after called the Company, give notice that:
1. All arrangements are made subject to the following terms and conditions. When you book with Canterbury Travel you are deemed to accept in full, the Booking Conditions herein together with any other information brought to your attention before you booked your package. Please read them carefully in conjunction with Frequently asked questions. From the time we issue our Confirmation/Invoice for your chosen tour a contract exists between you and Canterbury Travel. These Booking Conditions and any agreement to which they apply are governed in all respects by English law. Each party agrees that any dispute, claim or other matter arising from or in connection with your contract or booking will be dealt with the Courts of England & Wales only (if not referred to Arbitration see clause 9).
2. When making a booking, the Client agrees to check all the details on the confirmation invoice at the time of issue. You have 14 days from the time of booking to advise Canterbury Travel of any errors or discrepancies. Notification of any errors outside this period will be subject to amendment fees. See Condition No. 5.
3. After acceptance of the booking if the Client cancels his arrangements or does not pay the balance of the holiday price by the prescribed time the Company reserves the right to cancel the booking and in such cases the Client will forfeit the deposit. In addition, if either event occurs within 70 days of departure the following cancellation fees become payable by the Client.
Period before departure within which written cancellation is received:
more than 70 days
0-14 on day of departure
100% Total cost
Cancellation charges including (deposit paid) as % of total price
We regret that in the event of cancellation, deposits cannot be carried over to a future year. The client has the option to transfer a package travel contract to another traveller who satisfies all the necessary conditions for the holiday if they give notice at least 70 days prior to the date of departure. The transferor and the transferee are both liable for the costs of any changes and payment of the balance of the package.
4. If the Client cancels the arrangement, or the Company cancels the arrangements because of failure by the Client to pay the balance by the prescribed time, the deposit is forfeited. Additionally, the Company may recover from the Client any additional costs incurred in making and cancelling the arrangements. See condition no. 3.
5. Amendments of bookings within the same season, received in our office in writing prior to 70 days in advance of tour departure will be charged an amendment fee of £/€75 per person involved in the transaction. Amendments to bookings made within 70 days of departure will be treated as a complete cancellation of the holiday involved and cancellation fees set out under booking condition 3 still become applicable. Name changes are accepted at any time prior to departure at a cost of £/€75 per person administration charge, provided at least one member of the original party continues to travel. In addition, any costs incurred to airlines for cancelled air tickets and any additional cost incurred for new tickets at higher value will be charged. Where scheduled airlines are concerned this will often be the total value of the original air ticket as a minimum. A further charge of £/€50 for administration & re-issue of ticket fees will be made for names changed within 14 days of travel. All amendment fees are payable at the time of the transaction.
6. Covid-19: Limitation of liability
We both acknowledge the ongoing COVID-19 global crisis and accept our obligations to comply with any official guidance from governments or local authorities, both in the UK and whilst overseas.
Please note that we will have no liability for any refunds, compensation, costs, expenses or other losses of any kind incurred by you (including, where applicable, the cost of medical treatment), in the following circumstances;
6.1. If you, or anyone in your party, test positive for Covid-19 and have to quarantine for a period of time, or are notified or otherwise become aware that you have, or suspect you may have come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19 (or where they otherwise suspect they may have Covid-19) and have to self-isolate for a period of time. If this happens within 14 days of your departure date, you must contact us as you may no longer be able to travel.
We will offer you the following options where possible and subject to availability;
Postponing your holiday to a later date within the same season. We will notify you of any impact on the price the postponement may have (please note that you may have to pay full cancellation charges on some elements of your holiday, such as the flight, as well any increase in cost imposed by other suppliers);
If not everyone on the booking is affected, you will have the right to transfer the place on the holiday to another person nominated by you, subject always to our overall booking terms and conditions. (extra costs may be incurred)
Cancelling your holiday, in which case we will impose our standard cancellation charges as at the date of cancellation by you. You may be able to claim these costs back from your travel insurance.
If this happens whilst you are on your holiday, please notify us without delay and we will provide such reasonable assistance as we can in the circumstances. However, we will not be responsible for covering the cost of any curtailment of your holiday, missed transport arrangements, additional accommodation required, or other associated costs incurred by you. You must ensure you have travel insurance which covers these costs for you.
6.2. If you were to contract COVID-19 while on holiday, we cannot guarantee the quality of the hospitals that you might be taken to, or the care that you might receive. Usually we are able to assist in these matters, but due to a likely national approach to treating the virus, you might be taken to a designated public hospital outside of our control.
6.3. You fail any tests, checks or other measures imposed by a supplier, airline, port or airport, border control authority or other government body or local authority or fail to submit for testing or assessment when requested to do so, and as such you are denied entry to board the flight, entry to the destination, access to the services or you are otherwise unable to proceed with the holiday, or that portion of the holiday.
6.4. Although unlikely, it is possible that flight schedules may change without notice necessitating an earlier or later return to the UK and this may happen in particular if the FCDO announce a change in quarantine rules for arrivals from your destination.
6.5. You also acknowledge that the suppliers providing your holiday, including airlines, hotels and excursion providers, will need to comply with national and/or local guidance and requirements relating to Covid-19, and have implemented certain measures as a result. This will likely include specific requirements regarding personal protective equipment, such as use of face-masks by staff (and you may be required to wear a face-mask as well), social distancing, maximum number restrictions on the use of certain facilities, designated alternative entrance and exit routes, mandatory hand sanitisation, limited entertainment options and limited food/drink availability. We do not expect these measures to have a significant impact on your enjoyment of the holiday and all measures will be taken with the purpose of securing your safety and those around you.
7. All arrangements quoted are based on known costs and exchange rates when tours were confirmed in January 2021. The price of your holiday is subject to surcharges on the following items: governmental action, currency, aircraft fuel, overflying charges and airport charges. Even in this case we will absorb an amount equivalent to 2% of the holiday price and any amendment charges. Only amounts in excess of the 2% will be surcharged. If this means paying more than 8% on the holiday price, you will be entitled to cancel your holiday with a full refund of all money paid except for amendment charges. Should you decide to cancel because of this, you must exercise your right to do so within 14 days from the date printed on the replacement invoice. Having already provided for the above in the event that the currency exchange rate or other factors better that from which the brochure/website is costed no refund would be made. Exchange rates used in the brochure/website are (as quoted in the Financial Times, Wednesday March 2, 2022) UK£1=1.2032 Euros.
8. If circumstances beyond the Company's control cause either withdrawal or modification of the advertised arrangements which are made by the Company as agents for the suppliers of transport, accommodation and other services, the Company agrees to immediately notify Clients and if possible, offer a comparable arrangement or a prompt and full refund of all monies paid by the Client. Such withdrawal will not take place after the date when the balance becomes due, with the exception of booking condition No. 21, unless for reasons amounting to force majeure or in the event that the Client defaults in payment of the balance.
9. Disputes arising out of, or in connection with this contract, which cannot be amicably settled, may (if the Client so wishes) be referred to arbitration under a special scheme which, though devised by arrangement with the Association of British Travel Agents is administered quite independently by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. The scheme (details of which will be supplied on request) provides for a simple and inexpensive method of arbitration on document alone with restricted liability on the Client in respect of costs. The scheme does not apply to claims for an amount greater than £/€5,000 per person or £/€25,000 per Booking. Where a claim for personal injury is made the limit on the amount claimed is £/€1,500 per person. If you elect to seek redress under this scheme written notice requesting arbitration under the scheme must be made within 18 months after the scheduled date of return from the holiday.
10. Responsibility is accepted by Canterbury Travel that the tour arrangements described in this programme are provided to reasonable standard. Responsibility is also accepted for the proven acts and/or omissions of our employees, agents and suppliers under our control. Appropriate compensation will be offered should we fail in this respect. Such compensation payments do not apply for changes resulting from changes of schedules and cancellations by air, sea and rail transportation companies, war or threat of war, riots, industrial disputes, disasters of natural or nuclear nature, terrorist action or other reasonable events beyond our control. Suppliers mentioned above are defined as those providing goods or services appertaining to your holiday with whom, we have formal contractual relationships. Where the services in question are carriage by air, water or rail our responsibility is limited in accordance with the relevant conditions of the carrier. We have limited liability/responsibility with regards to airlines and aircraft.
11. Responsibility is accepted for proven negligent acts or omissions, by our employees, agents and suppliers, under our control, in respect of claims arising as a result of death, bodily injury, or illness caused to the lead name to the contract and/or any other named persons on our confirmation invoice. Suppliers mentioned above are defined as those providing goods or services appertaining to your holiday with whom, we have formal contractual relationships. Where the services in question are carriage by air, water, land or rail our responsibility is limited in accordance with the relevant conditions of the carrier. Such claims being subject to English Law in respect of any question of liability or quantum and all proceedings shall be within the exclusive domain of the English Courts.
12. Where you suffer any accidental illness, personal injury or death, resulting from any activity not part of your holiday arrangements made by us, all possible advice and assistance will be offered. This will include where appropriate at our discretion, financial assistance up to a limit of £/€5000 per booking. Such financial assistance is limited to appropriate circumstances whilst you are still outside the United Kingdom or Ireland and will be by way of a loan which you will be required to repay within 56 days of your return to the United Kingdom or Ireland. Canterbury Travel must provide written consent before any expenditure can be considered and further Canterbury Travel reserve the right to have complete control over legal proceedings including but not limited to the selection, appointment and control of your legal representation. Canterbury Travel shall not be liable for expenses normally covered by Holiday Insurance policies. It is therefore in your own interest to ensure that you are in possession of a suitable travel insurance policy.
13. Transportation arrangements made on your behalf provide for the use of a variety of services. In the event of transportation delays arising, meals, refreshments and/or overnight accommodation will be in accordance with the conditions of contract of the respective carrier being used.
14. Our tours are based on using charter aircraft. Tours are operated subject to a minimum participation level equivalent to 80% of aircraft seating capacity. For overnight tours, we reserve the right to cancel up until 10 weeks prior to departure date. For day trips we reserve the right to cancel up until 4 weeks prior to departure date. Accordingly, no compensation or out of pocket expenses will be paid.
15. If the Client shall bring a claim against the Tour Operator, arising out of the negligent acts or omissions of the Tour Operator’s agents, suppliers or subcontractors, and if the said claim is settled by any payment by the Tour Operator to the Client, whether by agreement or following a court judgement, the Tour Operator shall be subrogated to the customer’s personal rights of action against the said agents, suppliers or subcontracts for recovery in the customer’s own name. Further, the Client will render all necessary assistance to the Tour Operator in connection with any recovery proceedings.
16. Activities throughout your holiday are undertaken in Arctic weather conditions. The organisers reserve the right to vary the tour content and duration of activity in accordance with local safety practice. Duration of outside activities will vary in accordance with conditions applicable on the day and times and schedules specified in the itinerary are those expected to apply but will be adjusted locally to fit with current conditions. Parents and guardians are responsible at all times for the supervision of children travelling within their party for the total duration of the tour. Structures featured within our tours, built from ice, snow etc., e.g. Snow Holes, Snow Igloos are dependent on satisfactory levels of snow and means of its compactability. Where inappropriate conditions exist such structures cannot be provided as they are dependent on specific Arctic weather conditions prevailing. Tours within our brochure/website operate in the Arctic. Most pictures in the brochure/website depict snowy conditions. Lack of snow however would not be an acceptable reason for cancellation or compensation. The programme would be adapted to fit with this situation. The tour would continue with the other or alternative elements provided and there would be no right of cancellation due to lack of snow.
17. For our Day Tours, in the event of an aircraft diversion or delay in departure our total liability to you will be as follows: a delay in departure exceeding 4 hours where the Clients have not boarded the aircraft will result in the tour being cancelled with a full refund of payments made. In the event of aircraft diversion the following procedures will be followed: where the new airport of arrival is within a 150 mile radius of the original airport by road, bus transportation will be provided to the original airport and the tour will operate in full. To comply with flight crew regulations this will inevitably mean the departure from Lapland in the early hours of the following morning. For arrivals at airports outside a 150 mile radius a Day Tour based on appropriate services available in the locality at short notice will be provided, which of course may vary greatly to that offered in the tour described. In all the years of operation of Day Tours, thirteen have been cancelled and only five diverted to an airport. By agreeing to our booking conditions you accept our total liability to you in the event of tour cancellation will be a full refund of tour cost. We cannot be responsible for other out of pocket expenses such as overnight hotels, petrol, taxi fees etc.
18. Images used within the brochure/website of Santa and his elves are purely representative of the standards that are provided on our tours. Actual elves and Santa may vary in accordance with location visited.
19. It is advisable to take out an insurance policy at the time of booking as you are at risk as soon as you pay a deposit to us. If you fail to make appropriate insurance arrangements in a timely manner, we will not be liable for any losses or expenses which you may incur for claims which might normally have been covered by insurance in respect of circumstances for which we are not responsible.
20. Canterbury Travel reserve the right to adjust the content of inclusive tours featured in this programme. Prior to your entering into a contract with us, such changes will be advised to you. Should adjustments be necessary after you have entered into a contract with us we will advise you in writing or by email.
21. Should the need arise, we reserve the right to substitute an alternative air carrier, aircraft type, origination/destination airport or to operate the flight via another domestic airport to that previously quoted for our tours. Such alterations do not provide a right of cancellation or compensation.
22. Any money paid by a Client to an officially appointed agent of Canterbury Travel is at all times held on behalf of the ATOL holder i.e. Canterbury Travel.
23. Where specified in our programme, half-price child places are offered on a subject to availability basis. To qualify, bookings must consist of a minimum of 4 passengers including 1 child between 2-11 years at the time of return travel. Minimum 4 persons excludes infants. If a half-price place is applicable it will be allocated to the youngest aged child. Should amendments occur to the booking resulting in a reduction in party numbers below the minimum requirement the half-price child place is forfeited and a revised invoice will be issued. Award of half-price child places is at the sole discretion of Canterbury Travel and may be withdrawn or introduced at any time in accordance with management decision. Only 1 half-price child place will be granted, per booking. The £2.50 ATOL protection fee is payable for any half-place child places. Promotional Offers cannot be combined.
24. Our interest lies in providing our clients with a hassle free and enjoyable holiday. Thereby if in our reasonable opinion or that of a person in authority, any threatened disruptive action prior to commencement of your holiday, or subsequent action on holiday, which affects the enjoyment of others, allows us the right to terminate your personal holiday and similarly for all others named within the same booking. Should this occur there would be no refund or compensation paid and it would be necessary for you to arrange at your own expense return transportation to the United Kingdom or Ireland and any other costs relating to your alternative arrangements.
25. Consumer Protection: – The air holidays and flights in this brochure/website are ATOL Protected, since we hold an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence granted by the Civil Aviation Authority. Our ATOL number is 0739. In the unlikely event of our insolvency, the CAA will ensure that you are not stranded abroad and will arrange to refund any money you have paid to us for an advance booking. Your Financial Protection When you buy an ATOL protected flight or flight inclusive holiday from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong. “We, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL Certificate, will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).” “If we, or the suppliers identified on your ATOL certificate, are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.” For further information, visit the ATOL website at www.caa.co.uk/atol-protection/.
26. Excursions, other tours or services that you may choose to book or pay for whilst you are on holiday, are not a part of your package holiday provided. For any other excursion, tour or service that you book; your contract will be with the provider of the service and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion, tour or service or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator or supplier.
Published March 2, 2022.
We've been helping people explore Lapland for almost 50 years. Our Holiday Experts help you choose the best trip for your family.
Make An Enquiry
Our Lapland Holidays depart from a number of airports in the UK, and from Dublin airport in Ireland.